Have you ever gotten to a point where there's nothing left to binge watch on Netflix, your "to-do" list is short or successfully procrastinated and you have the urge to travel but not the budget for an overnight? While there's always something fun and exciting to do in Topeka, if you have a whole day free, a day trip might be just what you're looking for. Read on for a few unique ideas to add to your trip bucket list!
For the Outdoorsy Family
- Flint Hills Discovery Center (1 hour from Topeka) - If you've ever wanted to explore the Flint Hills, the Flint Hills Discovery Center is the best place to start! Learn about the Flint Hills in the morning and then choose your own adventure for the afternoon.
- Waterfalls at Chase State Lake (1.5 hours from Topeka) - The waterfalls at Chase State Lake are a well kept secret. Enjoy a beautiful hike to view three waterfalls that occur near the dam. The lake also features eight piers for fishing and is only 1.5 west of Cottonwood Falls, Ks - a great place to stop for lunch on your way home!
- Powell Gardens (a little over 1.5 hours from Topeka) - This 915 acre botanical garden features a wide array of beautiful plants, ponds and natural wildlife. There's plenty to explore and enjoy.
- Mushroom Rock State Park (2 hours from Topeka) - Visit the smallest park in Kansas, at only 5 acres in size! The park is located about 20 miles southwest of Salina and features unique rock formations that resemble giant mushrooms. This is a great place for a cool photo op.
For the History Buffs
- Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum and Boyhood Home (a little over 1 hour from Topeka) - Visit the Presidential Library, Museum and Boyhood Home of our 34th U.S. President. There's plenty to take in and learn at the fourth official Presidential library in the U.S.
- Amelia Earhart's Birthplace Museum (1 hour from Topeka) - Who knew the famous female aviator's childhood home is only 1 hour from Topeka? Pay homage to Amelia Earhart while learning more about how growing up in Kansas shaped her into the brave explorer she was.
- Kansas Underground Salt Museum: Strataca (2.5 hours from Topeka) - Venture 650 feet below the Earth's surface to tour one of the world's largest deposits of rock salt! This truly unique adventure helps visitors realize that there's definitely more to Kansas than meets the eye.
- Cosmosphere (2.5 hours from Topeka) - Make an entire day of it by visiting the Cosmosphere after you've ventured through Strataca! The Cosmosphere boasts a museum, a Dome theater and even an interactive simulator.
For the Adventurers
- Worlds of Fun (1 hour from Topeka) - You may have grown up going to Worlds of Fun, but have you visited recently? The park is always growing and changing with new rides, it's worth a visit to see what's new!
- Zipline at Wildwood Outdoor Adventure Park (1 hour from Topeka) - Wildwood Outdoor Adventure Park features 7 zip lines to get your blood pumping!
- Ride through the Flint Hills on Horseback (1.5 hours from Topeka) - The Flying W Ranch offers a variety of horseback riding options, including sunset rides across the Flint Hills. Giddy up for a memorable experience!
- Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure (a little over 1.5 hours from Topeka) - A lion, a tiger, a bear...wait, a giraffe too?! The Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure is not your typical zoo. There are currently 65 acres of exhibits, as well as an impressive Wildlife Museum.
- There's No Place like Wamego (40 minutes from Topeka) - Wamego is an awesome small town less than an hour away from Topeka! From art galleries to wineries and even a Wizard of Oz museum, Wamego is a fantastic day trip for couples looking to leisurely explore someplace new.
- Kansas Belle Dinner Train (45 minutes from Topeka) - Enjoy a five course dinner with a 3 hour train ride into the beautiful Kansas countryside. This truly unique experience is sure to impress your sweetheart!
- Epic Day Date in Weston, Mo (a little over 1 hour from Topeka) - Enjoy wineries, fine dining, shopping and even an underground Irish pub - Weston is a prime place for an awesome "Day Date."
- Couple's Spa Day at the Elms Hotel and Spa (1.5 hours from Topeka) - A romantic spa day awaits at the Elms Hotel and Spa. The Elms offers services like hot stone massages, mud wraps and hydrotherapy.
With so many places and ways to explore, these Topeka Day Trips are sure to keep your calendar full and exciting! No matter your interests, there's bound to be a Day Trip to fit your list. Where will you go on your next Day Trip?